Saturday, July 19, 2014

Hello!


Just wanted to make this first post to let you guys know a little more about me and why in the world I'm making this blog. Being Latina and growing up in California, I have always been surrounded by great Mexican food. Especially tacos. When I was younger my mother would always joke and say that if I could, I'd live off of tacos alone. And I totally would if I could. When I moved to San Francisco to attend college I was really excited to hear about all of the great Mexican food (and just food in general) it had to offer!


So here is where I will talk about and review all of the taco places I visit in San Francisco. Since I've been eating tacos all of my life, I have a pretty old school idea of what tacos should consist of and this is how I will base all of my reviews.

Tortillas: Tortillas should be soft and warm preferably from a comal (a popular type of griddle used in Mexico). They should be able to hold all of the meat and any extra toppings you decide to add to your taco without having the majority fall out or the tortilla come apart.

Filling: There are many different things you can put inside a taco. From beef, to fish, to vegetables. Whatever it may be, this should be the star ingredient in a taco. The meat should be fresh and flavorful. It should be evident that it was seasoned/marinated and grilled. The meat should also be chopped fairly well for easier consumption. In order to judge each restaurant fairly, I will only be ordering carne asada tacos (and because they're my favorite).

Toppings: To me, a good taco doesn't need much else other than some salsa and a squeeze of lime, but there are a number of different things a person can add to a taco. The staples that I expect to be offered are: salsa, cilantro, lemons/limes, onions, and maybe even radishes and pickled jalapenos. Toppings should not take away from the main flavor of the taco, aka the filling, but add to the experience. Since many of these are fruits and vegetables, they should also be fresh and not appear to have been sitting out for days on end.

Other things I will take into consideration are prices, ambience, and customer service.
Now that the groundwork has been set, it's finally time to review some tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment